Pediatric oral sedation offered in Greensboro, NC
Children who are experiencing dental pain or infection, no matter the age, will require treatment. In some cases (for numerous reasons), this treatment could require that your child be put under sedation. Dr. Sona Isharani offers pediatric oral sedation for her young patients in the Greensboro, NC area when this need arises.
Why is sedation necessary?
There are many reasons that a young patient may need to be put under sedation. Some of these reasons may include:
- The need for the young patient to remain still during a procedure
- There may be a significant amount of work that needs to be done
- Dental anxiety (for example, the noise of the drill may be scary to younger patients)
Whatever the reason may be for your child to be sedated, you can rest easy knowing that Dr. Isharani’s goal is to always to provide the safest, most pain-free treatment for your child.
How safe is sedation for children?
As of 2019, the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) and the AAPD (American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry) updated current mandates relating to guidelines that all dentists and oral surgeons must follow when providing sedation to child patients. These guidelines are strictly followed by Dr. Isharani and her team so that you can be stress free knowing your child is in a perfectly safe and professional situation. These guidelines include:
- There must be two people present in the room at all times with the training to provide advanced life support measures in the event any problems arise
- These 2 people must always consist of the dentist/oral surgeon and the other an independent observer
- The independent observer must be one of the following:
- A physician anesthesiologist
- A certified nurse anesthetist
- A second oral surgeon
- A dental anesthesiologist
The strict adhesion to these guidelines ensures that your child is in the very safest environment possible.
It is very important to provide a complete medical history of your child to Dr. Isharani. This information includes any medication (over the counter or prescribed) that your child takes and any known allergies. This will help avoid unforeseen complications due to adverse reactions from drug interactions.
Types of Sedation
We offer several types of sedation:
- Nitrous Oxide – This is a mild sedative. You may know this as ‘laughing gas’. Your child will breath in the nitrous oxide mixed with some oxygen. This will not put your child to sleep but provide a relaxing dental experience. It’s considered a pleasant experience.
- Oral Sedation – This form of sedation is administered as a prescription medication and results, depending on the strength needed, in a child who is relaxed and sleepy. This form of sedation is great for children dealing with dental anxiety.
- General Anesthesia – This is the strongest form of sedation as your child will be put into a complete sleep state that is pain free. This form of sedation is administered by a certified anesthesia professional. This professional will administer and monitor your child throughout the procedure very closely and as the anesthesia wears off.
As a parent, take comfort in knowing that safety is our number one priority. Through professional training and expertise, we administer sedation that is safe and effective based on your child’s need. Please call Dr. Sona J. Isharani, DDS at (336) 804-8668 to schedule an appointment.