Infant Oral Exam
Early dental care helps create a solid foundation for a lifetime of healthy, happy smiles. Sona J. Isharani, DDS has a special infant oral exam program that allows you to establish a great dental home early in your child's life, much like a Pediatrician for the mouth.
Make smiles a priority from day one!
Dental care should begin by the time your baby reaches one year old, or sooner if a tooth appears. However, you can begin establishing good oral health even before your infant’s first office visit.
- Clean your baby’s gums regularly with a damp, soft cloth before teeth develop.
- Avoid using a baby bottle with sugary liquids as a pacifier at naptime. Even milk and fruit juice have sugar and acid that can begin eroding newly emerging teeth.
- When you talk to your child about dental care, use positive terms and avoid projecting your own fears.
What to expect
There are two important components to infant dental care. One is examination and treatment, if necessary, for the child. The other is education, guidance, and advice for the parents.
- We encourage parents to be present and participate.
- We normally use the “knee to knee” technique, which allows the child to sit on your lap during the examination.
- Dr. Sona will carefully examine the child’s mouth, and check for any areas of concern.
- You are encouraged to ask questions, and discuss any concerns that you may have.
Infant exams allow us to monitor your little one’s growth and development. With regular preventive care, your child may never need major dental procedures. Furthermore, if treatment is needed in the future, he or she will already know our team and feel comfortable in our office. Give us a call today and schedule an appointment.